The main reasons for regular chimney sweeping are:
- to prevent house and chimney fires;
- to reduce the risk of dangerous fumes, such as carbon monoxide;
- to assist the efficient burning of fuel;
- Some landlords have a legal obligations to have the flue swept annually.
A number of insurance companies request that chimneys are swept and certificates issued in order for your insurance to remain valid, we issue such certificates after each sweep.
All chimneys need sweeping, stoves and open fires. But how often?
This depends on a number of factors including: Type of fuel, appliance used, duration of use, moisture content of wood fuel, type of chimney. The sweeping frequencies below are for guidance only:
- Smokeless coals At least once a year;
- Wood Quarterly when in use;
- Coal Quarterly when in use;
- Oil and Gas Once a year.